Fighting yes, Ultimate no

4/10/2010 07:22:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

No, I'm afraid I can't recognise Ultimate Fighting as a legitimate sport. I've just been watching it. It's only a sport if fighting in the car park of a pub is a sport. Just now a fella was astride the other fella and he set about beating him about the temples like an ape.

Perhaps it's just ignorance on my part, but I fail to see the difference between these bouts and say a guy from the Parachute Regiment out on the piss beating up a local behind Barclays Bank, which is the sort of thing I used to witness every weekend when working at the Beehive.

That's not to say these chaps are a fleet of Berties, on the contrary, one clearly has to be very tough to participate, just that it's a bit too gratuitous for me is all. It just doesn't appear to have the same spiritual foundations of the martial arts or the craft of boxing. In real terms it's Redneck martial arts isn't it. That's what it is.

What I'm saying is, I don't think when Bruce Lee said this;




I don't think he was envisaging this;




Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment