Close..oh so close

10/25/2009 05:14:00 am / The truth was spoken by Rich /

I'm back, not sure what time it is as the clocks have done something silly tonight. Forwards or backwards I'm not sure, but I've arrived home in time to watch young Valentino Rossi win the MotoGP title in Malaysia, and with a race to spare to boot, and that's all that matters. I've got time for a Radox bath to sooth my aching back and possibly a bacon sammich before the off....

So while my bath waters are prepared, a brief tournament report; A 270 capped runner £100 freeze-out event, which due to a clerical error actually began with 285 plus some alternates making 297 in total I think. After many many hours I finished 4th for £2,260 which in real terms is very welcome, although the £9,000 for 1st would have been even more welcome, but let's not push our luck.


I made one or two intriguing calls and very few friends along the way, but to be fair to them, the better players at my tables were probably working under the assumption that I was there to play poker. Silly billies. Why play poker with people that are better than you? Bingo for the win, that's what I always say.

And in bingo lingo clickety clicks, I raced like a bastard with several Big Slicks......and an Ace Jack with which I called a 130,000 raise to bust a German, which felt very satisfying.

My Grandad will enjoy hearing about that. He's never forgiven them. "I...I...don't call zis with Ace Jack" were his parting fair comments.

So anyway yes, a good tournament, I did actually play some good poker really considering I'm not at all match fit, but I'm still fortunate that skill and aggression and guile and being able to add-up are all subordinate to the whims of the Poker Gods. They wanted me to go deep and who are we as mere mortals to argue with them?

Hopefully this is something that will be added to the Dusk Till Dawn monthly schedule. Worthy of a hotel room next time I reckon so one can play both days. As a bonus I've also managed to retain my knowledge of British Prime Ministers and Monarchs for the Pigeons quiz later on today. Phew.

Labels:

5 comments:

Comment by Alan on 25 October 2009 at 07:27

Congratulations Sir... Obvious really, that you would have a decent win when I wasn't there! :)

Comment by Tinca Tinca on 25 October 2009 at 23:40

Can't believe thats you.
A fine result sir wp.

Comment by Rich on 25 October 2009 at 23:47

Ha..what were you expecting?

Comment by Tinca Tinca on 26 October 2009 at 11:46

Somebody I had never seen before - I think we have met before. And to be honest somebody older.

Comment by Rich on 26 October 2009 at 11:50

I'm sure we probably have met without realising it. I'm 35, but have kept my boyish good....my boyish looks.

Post a Comment