First game never counts

5/19/2009 05:28:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

You know what people, the thing about being a fan of North Mercan sports is that you can't talk about it in pubs with chums or strangers for that matter who just happen to have an opinion worth listening to. One has to either to talk to oneself and I'm trying to cut down on that, or just be satisfied with what they write in the US sports media.

I'm not from the US of States though so when I read stuff and it's something I don't necessarily agree with I've no real way of knowing if the dude who wrote it is the US equivalent of someone like Oliver Holt who I quite like and whose opinion should be respected, or Tim Lovejoy who of course, is an utter twat.

They all have the same tendencies as our journo's and pundits of course. They cling to very convenient narratives and find a way of slotting all developments into such narratives. The Blackhawks and Red Wings for example will always be a youth v experience series; the Penguins and Capitals was Crosby v Ovie.

So anywho, it's hard to learn anything new just by reading the sports media and I'm loathe to enter intraweb messageboards so I'm having to back my own judgement on this Western Conference series.

The first game never counts - that's a rule of thumb I've carried with me since I started playing games. My brain is not an analytical one therefore learning games for me can be like pulling teeth so I needed a buffer, some latitude if you will to prevent people from laughing at me. First game never counts serves this purpose.

I still think my chaps will win this series. They're now 4.4 to win the series and although I've just freed my credit card from it's Vegas debts and money is not abundant I must have my share of this. I must. I may be cutting my own throat, but one has to do what one has to do. Fortunately this isn't a tipping blog so I don't have to advice taking this price. Phew.



On a completely different note; I just went to the shops to buy stuff I can eat while my game is on. It felt as if someone was following me around really closely. I looked behind me a couple of times and thought someone was there but eventually realised it was the hood of my sweater. I laughed at my foolishness, but I was stood in the cake isle next to a fat woman making some selections. I think she thought I was laughing at her. Fun times.

Labels: , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous on 20 May 2009 at 20:19

2-0 up in the series cuz

Comment by Rich on 20 May 2009 at 20:29

Close one last night, back to Chicago now. Game 4 on Sunday on at 8pm our time if you're anywhere near me come over mate.

Post a Comment