The Lennie Small

3/21/2009 09:49:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

I placed a wager earlier today which is just something that has become part of my routine first thing on a Saturday afternoon. It's your basic football Yankee, but after further analysis I have renamed it a Lennie Small.

Poor Lennie Small was John Steinbeck's gentle giant in Of Mice and Men. A retarded thick headed dude in the depression era who so dearly loved mice and many other fluffy creatures, but with his immense strength he stroked them all to death. This wager I've placed all requires teams who like to play football to win; to stroke the ball around, to caress it, to love it people. Not long ball teams is what I'm saying.

But like Arsenal sometimes, there can be too much stroking in the pursuit of the perfect goal and these games like my wagers, are killed off. Arsenal have now won though, as have Villarreal and Sparta Rotterdam. I now need Sevilla to win. They are currently at 1-1 having given up an early lead...but still in the first half and plenty of time to go.

Poor Lennie was shot in the back in the head for his own good at the end of Steinbeck's classic novel..lets hope for a happier ending to the life of this Lennie Small.

Good evening.

Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment