Khan V Barrera

3/12/2009 11:38:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /


At first glance this contest looks quite intriguing, but by delving a little deeper, beneath the glossy veneer of the hype surrounding the fight, one uncovers the grim finish of a different picture altogether. One of ulterior motives and opportunism. It's no surprise Don King is the artist.

Here's what I think about this fight right, here's what I think....they both want a pay day. I think the Amir Khan people have realised that their man is in fact a bit rubbish and they need a pay day for him now elsewise he's going to take another ass whuppin to a relative nobody and be dumped in the domestic ranks for the whole of eternity fighting the likes of Willy "the anvil" O'Toole at Wakefield town hall.

By fighting a legend now while Khan still has people believing in his potential he can attract a big crowd, the Sky Box Office people and guarantee himself a pay day to set himself up for life. If he gets beat he has the excuse of being beaten by "a legend" therefore maintaining his exaggerated level of respect and affording him one more chance to prove himself. For Barrera it's a no lose proposition as he's guaranteed monies also as he's fighting someone who the boxing world is interested in and his own reputation is beyond reproach regardless of what happens as he is a seven time world champion.

I still think Barrera will win given that he's technically so much better, but Khan has the punchers chance as he's a lot bigger and stronger. Or a lot bigger anyway. It's definitely a fight I won't be paying to see, but given how partisan and stupid British fans are about these sorts of fights I think the even money on Barrera is well worth a few shillings.

I wish I'd waited a day or two before drowning my chihuahuas now as they were big fans of Barrera's. I'd forgotten the fight was on though you see. I'll have to trust my own instincts on this one.

**Update: I'm now wondering if I haven't just ignored my own concerns about this fight's credibility. I'm now wondering if perhaps a Khan win on points after being outclassed for 12 rounds might be the most likely outcome. I don't think I'll have a bet actually, this fight smells worse than one of my trouser coughs after I've been eating beetroot.



Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment