Winter Classic arrives!!

1/01/2009 04:19:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /



NHL winter classic day! Wrigley Field, 40,000 fans, -7 degrees, Chicago Blackhawks and the Detroit Redwings. I can't bally well wait I tells ya. When the NHL was founded there were only 6 teams; Chicago, Detroit, Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens - so this is a classic in every sense of the word.

Who will win though? Who who? I won't be wagering on this game as I don't want to put the kibosh on my own team, but I fancy the Hawks to win it. They have a problem giving up goals in the third period, possibly due to fatigue which may be even worse in an outdoor game, but I expect them to score enough goals in the first two periods to compensate. If I were to have a few shillings on the game I'd go for the overs (5.5).

The Hawks did lose 4-0 in Detroit two days ago, but only after winning nine straight games and setting a new club record. They've been on fire recently. I've never seen anything like it since I started following them about 15 years ago. Patrick Sharp and little Patrick Kane can help themselves to goals today if the conditions suit and you can quote me.


The standings are close with only 6 points between them with the Hawks having two games in hand, and it is true that the Hawks haven't beaten the Wings in three efforts this year, but this game being outdoors makes all the stats from the season essentially irrelevant. The way I see it, the Hawks have the advantage here cause they have the most Canadians who grew up in places like Winnipeg and Thunder Bay where outdoor hockey was the norm and a vociferous crowd.

If ice conditions are good it favours the Hawks, if they deteriorate Detroit may just get lucky and sneek it. They drop the puck at 1pm Central time - it's being shown here on NASN as live from 7:30pm. If you're not doing owt get yourself a cup of Bovril and have a look see.


Labels:

2 comments:

Anonymous on 2 January 2009 at 16:17

Wings all the way my friend - in or out of doors, it did not matter

Comment by Rich on 2 January 2009 at 16:58

If only the games lasted 20 minutes. Give it a two more seasons and things will be different.

Post a Comment