January wagering

1/01/2009 04:15:00 am / The truth was spoken by Rich /

Since I'm in no mood to go to sleep at the present time I thought I'd discuss some of the wagers I've placed for later this week. Shall we? Shall we let's? Why fucking not eh? I've concerned myself with darts, football and the NFL wild-card games this weekend, so if you're sitting comfortably, I'll begin.

Just to recap, the rules here are a minimum of research, coupled with instinct and a sprinkling of logic and hopefully we'll end up with some successful results and a nice pile of monies for which to spend on either sweets or a hernia operation.

Let's begin with tomorrow (Friday) night's Darts; it's this Aussie whack job Paul Nicholson who has caught my eye. I've had a minor wager on young Jelle Klaassen of course to win the whole tournament, but I'm not too optimistic about that one.

He's scoring well enough, but his eye-brow span is almost the same as is his tash-span now and this of course means he's missing his doubles. So many chances wasted against Andy Hamilton he was lucky to get through in all fairness, had that been against Taylor, Barney or James Wade he'd be back in Holland now eating a number of different cheeses.

But it's the Wade v Nicholas encounter that has tickled my fancy. I'm slightly appalled by James Wade. He's getting fat and I assume suffers from acute halitosis now from noshing out Helen Chamberlain.

I've never understood the appeal of her, she's pleasant enough for a 40+er but if you're 25 and relatively famous you ought to be able to find something more appealing to thrash about with in the evening. Because of this I just can't see him winning this match.


"Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

The bet for me is Nicholson -1.5 sets @ 3.6. This Aussie Geordie composite is hitting something like a 95 average consistently and has been all year, while James Wade is eating far too many Jaffa cakes. I think the bookies have priced this one up back to front and upside down. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but if I'm right then that's a brand new toaster for me paid for thank you very much.

Moving on now to the weekend's football, I've had a fairly sound looking treble on Man City, Liverpool and Real Madrid. Man City as we know don't know their arse from the elbow at the moment, but they are playing Nottingham Forest at home so I expect them to just about make it through this one possibly 1-0 with a dodgy penalty in the 93rd minute.

Liverpool are away to Preston which ought not to be a problem even for whatever selection of nobodies Liverpool field and Real Madrid are home to Villarreal who are Spain's equivilant of Newcastle at the moment.

Finally the NFL wild-card games. I'm looking forward to these. I've had another £5 Yankee on the four games. I got close with the last one and thought I'd have another go. Baltimore I'm very happy to say are off to Miami for what I fancy will be a fairly standard suffocation of the Dolphin's offense and a win by somewhere in the region of 7 points. I've backed them on the handicaps at -3.5. Miami have been the surprise team this season really, but I think this is where the journey comes to an end for them.


Philadelphia seem to be gaining confidence and momentum at just the right time so I've also included them on the handicaps at -3. If something catastrophic were to happen to the Baltimore Ravens, I'd not be at all surprised if Philadelphia ended up winning the Superbowl instead.

They just seem to have appeared from nowhere. The Phillies winning the World Series has perhaps seen the city experience some sort of renaissance after being a magnet for failure for so long. Even the Flyers are doing well for crying out loud dear God.


Finally, I'm on unders for the other two games. I read somewhere one should always bet the Unders on teams who win their final regular season game by over 17 points. That's about all the encouragement I need for this bet, but surely post-season games are tighter affairs than regular season games anyway? So under 50 points isn't too much to ask. Is it now? Is it?


That's about it I think. If all goes to plan I should have enough monies to buy myself a new cardigan by the end of the weekend and if I've still got an eye for a bargain, I may treat myself to a new duffel coat too. Good luck with all your bets.

Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment