I wish I thunked like that

12/10/2008 11:16:00 am / The truth was spoken by Rich /

If I were to axe you to add up all the numbers from 1 to 10 how would you go about attempting this? 1+2 = 3 + 3 = 6 + 4 = 10 and so on? Me too, but once I got to about 6+7 I may start to forget my running total and start crying. What if it was 1 to 20, I'd definitely start to panic and maybe let some wee out by about 14+15.

I want the sort of brain that instantly realises one doesn't need to fill ones head up with about 20 sums when only 2 will suffice. I want the sort of brain that instantly recognises that 1+ 10 = 11 and therefore moving inwards 2+ 9 must also equal 11 and since there's going to be 5 of those sums all you need to do is multiply 11 by 5 to get a total off 55 and 21 X 10 for 1 to 20 which is 210 and so on.

My brain prefers to go the long way round. Rather than use GPS it prefers to find its own way. This Nintendo DS brain training thing, I enjoy doing the tasks, but I'm not convinced it boosts your intelligence or helps you think in different ways.

I'm fairly certain all it does is help you to perform the specific tasks in the software more efficiency. Soon I'll be able to count people walking in and out of a house faster than anyone, but it won't help me with my ability to solve problems in general. It'll never help me to undestand what Tim has re-raised me with or give me the courage to enter into a pot with Joy voluntarily out of position.

That creature from Mensa the other week said we all have a level of intelligence that doesn't change throughout our lives unless we're involved in a serious car accident, no matter how many crosswords or suduko puzzles we do. I suspect she may be right, I'm not downhearted though, I can still become an Egghead..that's just about memory not intelligence and having really odd hair.


Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment