World Series game 3 stuffs

10/25/2008 02:16:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

I've bought myself some pretty unhealthy foods to help me through game 3 of the World Series tonight. I hadn't planned to watch the games, but the first two efforts were jolly good to watch and have aroused my hunger for more.

I think we can agree the opening confrontations provided proof if proof were needed that Philadelphia's sporting franchises were put on this Earth to engineer defeat from promising positions.

The Phillies have excelled themselves so far, going 1-28 with runners in scoring positions. That's astonishing choking even for a Philadelphia team. One has to hark back to the Flyers' disastrous Stanley Cup finals capitulation to Ottawa in 2002 to find comparable scoring impotence - 2 goals in a five game series - but that can be bested by the Phillies if they don't address their inability to drive in runs.

Unlike the Flyers, who tried to change their entire system a few hours before game 4, the Phillies don't need to perform open heart surgery on themselves. Just one or two tweaks ought to see the scoring opportunities converted into runs - splitting up lefties Utley and Howard so they sandwich a right handed hitter for example might take away the advantage Tampa Bay have of bringing in left handed pitcher David Price to bust them up. Jimmy Rollins also might want to start batting with his eyes open.

With their stadium being more hitter friendly that Tropicana Field we may have a high scoring game - hopefully over 9.5 runs. I have no financial interest in seeing Tampa win but I want them to succeed none the less. While those Philly cheese steak sandwiches are awesome, I just have an irrational dislike of Pennsylvania.

It's bordering on prejudice really, as I've only been there once. I think it's those Amish people that freak me out, that's what it is. Tampa Bay is nice, I'm pretty sure I went there once when I was about 7 or 8.

That was possibly the first time I ever went on holiday and experienced beaches that didn't have donkey's on them and I was also able to purchase a silver Kennedy Space Centre jacket which to this day remains the most awesome item of clothing I've ever owned. That's reason enough to want the Rays to win in my opinion.

Also, I'll be watching on NASN not channel 5 as the presenters on channel 5 wind me up. Johnny Gould must surely have been the inspiration for Tim nice but dim. I hate public school boy types and his voice is so awkward and daft. As for Josh Chetwin, well he frightens me.

The end.

Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment