NHL

9/19/2008 08:55:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /


Boomp3.com

I'm just cooking some sausages so while they're sizzling away I thought I'd drivel on about the NHL for ten minutes. The preseason starts tomorrow and I've never felt so alive. Now I loves the Arsenal, I likes the NFL and MLB and I'm quite fond of OMC, KLF and some other stuff represented by three initials, except of course to be fair to it, the USA - but hockey is without question my favourite sport.

I'll watch hockey at any level cause I find it simply to be the best game to watch. I used to trot along to watch the Oxford City Stars on a Sunday evening before the Pigeons Game was permanently added to my social calendar. You'll never find me watching Sunday league football however, no sir! In fact as far as football goes, you won't find me watching any other games really that don't involve Arsenal.

So yes ...the NHL wooooooooo. It's a proper man's game isn't it. That's the appeal for me. I don't mean man's game in the same way that Rugby is a man's game. I mean it's played by dude's who don't cry when they get hit and they don't spend three weeks on the physio's couch with strains , tweaks and cramp.

Plus, PLUS, they're allowed to police themselves. Not to the same extent they were in the 80's when that amusing phrase, "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" was coined, but the NHL recognise that the players have to be able to police themselves for there to be a game.

See in the Premier League if some sunday league standard no mark breaks a strikers ankles, he get's a few games suspension and the sympathy of the media. In hockey if you cheap shot a centre, on the next shift a 230lb toothless Canadian with a stick is going to make you wish you hadn't have done that. Awsome.

Over the next few days I'll be adopting an amusing Canadian accent, suffixing all my sentences with "eh?" I'll be wearing various hockey jerseys and if the opportunity arises I'll gun down a mooose. If it doesn't I'll just be rude to one of the uglier girls in the centre of Carterton hanging out by the kebab shop.

Before the season opener on October 4th I will have briefed myself on the comings and goings of the off-season in order to execute an all-out assault on the UK's bookies who indeed know noffin about the sport. All of my sports wagers come October will be NHL-ly in nature and by May I will have accumulated enough wealth to realise my dream of owning my very own Eastern European house keeper.

Labels: , ,

2 comments:

Comment by Unknown on 20 September 2008 at 00:48

Love it! Does Messier still play? If he does then surely the Rangers will win a dozen games this season???

Comment by Rich on 20 September 2008 at 02:03

He finally gave up a few years back. Rangers don't have anyone to dump on now if things go wrong, so they might do quite well for once, unless they trade for a scapegoat before the season starts.

Post a Comment