Well I never

8/11/2008 12:15:00 am / The truth was spoken by Rich /

Up until a few years after leaving school I thought Bath was up near Hull and up until very recently a friend of mine was under the misapprehension that Roy Orbison was blind. It's funny how these misconceptions can continue for such lengthy periods of time ain't it. I say funny, it's not funny, but it is interesting. Sort of. Maybe.

Anyway, until this weekend I assumed Stu Ungar was of Oriental descent. I knew he was from the Lower East side of New York and I knew his father was a Jewish dude, but I assumed he'd knocked up a Filipino or Vietnamese woman and Stuey was the consequence of their illicit liaison...In other words I assumed his genealogy was Oriental in its heritage; mostly I think because of this picture:

Stu in 1980 looking Filipino/Vietnamese if you ask me

But no, he's no more Oriental than me. I read his book this weekend see, "One of a kind." A fascinating biography it was too by turns audacious, decadent and incredibly depressing. And while I was expecting to read stories of his mother's escape from Vietnam and her desperate voyage to the shores of the USA in an inner tube à la Scotty Nguyen, what I actually read was her name was Fay and she was also Jewish with blonde hair and evidently had quite big tits.

Also, as it happens, I was in Vegas just a couple of weeks after his third WSOP main event win in 1997. I had no interest in poker at the time elsewise I could have been there to see history being made. When I realised I was in Vegas that very summer I thought to myself I thought, funny!

Stu Ungar winning his third WSOP main event in 1997

It also became clear that I know absolutely nothing about poker compared to Stu Ungar. Which was also kind of depressing. I bet he doesn't know where Bath is though; in your face Stuey!

Labels: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment