The shirt and monkey off my back

8/05/2008 07:29:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

I won't use the word obsession as I'm reluctant to use that kind of language when I'm discussing my own behaviour, but it's fair to say that every now and then I become disproportionately focused on an objective I ought to be able to dismiss if it's seems unattainable after an hour or two of research.

For example, a couple of years ago I became driven in my pursuit to find Budweiser beers cans. Not just any Budweiser beer cans of course, but the 330ml sized ones - coke can sized ones if you will - that when I was a boy were available everywhere. I say when I was a boy, I mean you know, when my drinking career was in it's adolescence.

That particular search became a quest in no time at all, and I soon began losing sleep. and when I did sleep I dreamt only have convenient sized beer cans. My search took me all over the southern counties and I eventually found my prize in a Morrisons in Cheltenham. I bought 24 of them only to discover when I got them home that they were all many many months past their sell by dates and were as flat and torpid as my spirits. Happy days.

I won't lie to you. I'm dreaming again. For many years I've been searching for a very specific Arsenal shirt. Back in 1991-1993 the Arsenal away shirt was nicknamed the bruised banana and is a regular candidate for the worst kit every produced by anyone, whenever those polls appear on the internets and what not?

I love it though. I still have my original one. But I wanted a long sleeved version - I think if you don't mind, I won't go into why. But anyway, back then the long sleeved kits weren't generally on sale to the public. Only the short sleeved versions were available to buy. Therefore, if I was to find one of these gems, it would have to be a game-worn effort, which tend to be a little more expensive.

I have found one. My journey is nearly at it's end, but it's been a long road, with many a winding a turn. And an expensive one. Once again I'd rather not divulge how much I'm about to pay for this shirt, but rest assured it's too much. My obsessions and dreams weigh heavy on my back like a monkey. I'm scared to fall asleep in case the dream begins again. I....I.....no,..I've said to much. I better go.




Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment