Mid-life crises

8/06/2008 09:30:00 am / The truth was spoken by Rich /

Is it possible we get more conservative and more draconian as we get older? I've heard tell of many people becoming incredibly right wing as far as law and order goes immediately after becoming parents. Praise be that Hitler never had children that's what I always say.

I bring this up because I've just been informed by my people in Texas that a Mexican guy was due to be executed last night, but because of some arbitrary foul up with some procedures involved when arresting Mexicans or non-US citizens - they may now have to sanction some sort of re-trial.

Both prosecutors and defense accept that this lapse in protocol would not have ultimately had any baring on the case - and the dude is in fact guilty of the crime of which he was convicted, which incidentally was being part of a gang rape and murder of a 16 year old girl in 1993 when he was 18.

Due process is due process, but what's the priority here? That all the I's were dotted and T's crossed in the file, or that a murdering rapists is punished appropriately? This isn't even really a death penalty issue, it could be life imprisonment. Would we want this dude released into society on a technicality? I think not.*

I'm quite indifferent to the death penalty these days. I'd also like to see vegetarians taxed in some way. Is it my age? I'm 34 tomorrow. By the time I'm 40 I'll be seeking public executions and the transportation of Tottenham supporters. I've been calling for the latter for some time actually in all fairness.

I'll do some more research on this and let you know my findings. I suspect we're born with a finite measure of patience and it runs out pretty quickly, consequently our tolerance levels erode away and all of a sudden we're miserable short tempered bastards. Awesome.


*I've just received word that he has in fact now been executed. The End.

Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment