The nearly man

7/08/2008 10:31:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

I almost bought some sushi today. Fortunately at the last minute I was able to not bother. I bought a sammich instead and thank the lord I did. I don't know what possessed me to even consider such a purchase.

The day I eat food of which is the staple diet of another species is the day Satan's willy goes all small cause of how cold it's gotten in hell, that's what I always say.

In other news, I won the Fox game last night. It was a final table for the ages, almost legendary stuff. So close but yet so far to a come back of Jack Strauss proportions from Jimbo. It would have been worth making plans to have grand children just to tell them about it had he won.

With about 5 players left I Tiny Tim'ed Jimbo when I flopped a straight. So crippled was he that just 200 in chips were his lot. Two wee black chips. I was sitting with somewhere in the region of 47,000. Yet six double throughs and a couple of triple throughs later and the heads-up battle between Jimbo and I began!

Astonishing stuff. From 200 chips, I believe Jimbo actually had the chip lead when the heads-up began. On the way, aces were cracked, hopes were dashed. A dizzying fog of disbelief and incredulity shrouded the hopes of the once chip leader John of Salmon who was eventually lost to us just a few hands after Pete of Spedding, both succumbing to Lazarus's unrelenting resurgence.

At once it was left to me to destroy the blue shirted leviathan in the 5 seat. Herman Melville's Captain Ahab or Peter Benchley's Chief Brody? Fate my friends, would decide my role, oh yes. The ensuing battle following in the white watered wake of the previous frenzied attacks, were by contrast the glass sheeted calm waters of a slow strangulated murder death killing of the unrelenting Jimbo beast. The goddess of fortune had turned the tides.

Helped in someway in true Jaws style by Jimbo's boat not being big enough against my own full-house and coupled with my hitting approximately 80% of flops - ultimately it was a little one sided and quite anticlimactic. But did I really win? Did I? After such a revival is it possible to die? Is it people? Is it, when the memory lives on? These are questions only for the Gods. The Gods and Nick Berry. C'est la vie.




Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment