A tale of two cities

4/01/2008 03:22:00 am / The truth was spoken by Rich /

From Nottingham to Oxford, Oxfordshire anyway; this evening's proceedings at the Fox were in stark contrast to the god awful events at DTD on Saturday. It was the best of times and the worst of times as Dickens might have said.

I won the £20 re-buy tournament which was splendid, although I spent most of the evening with pissed soaked jeans that made me look like someone had spilled a pint of lager over me. Or was it the other way round? Either way, I stank and I could feel a rash developing as the evening progressed. I must concede though the warm air circulating around my genitals from my car heaters during the break was very pleasant and I have rarely felt so alive.

I was able to advance to the final table without too much drama and only having re-bought twice. The final table continued into Tuesday and with it being April Fools day it seemed silly not to play a wee practical joke on Jimbo in the shape of stacked deck which would see his pocket Aces being out drawn by my pocket Kings with a King door card on the flop. We would then point at him and laugh. To his credit he took the beat well, pure theatre, I do so love the arts.

Reality imitated art a short time later however, this time there was no laughter, just a meek apology from me and some evil glances in the direction of my lucky Smurf. Three handed we were you see and a three way chop was proposed, but declined by Jimbo - not two hands later after investing enormous sums in blinds, I decided to plough everything in with Ace-Six. An insta-call from Jimbo with Ace-Queen. Gasps from the rail, a fart from me.

A flop of 6-6-A and two blanks later though and my weekend in DTD was instantly repaid by the Gods. Jimbo took the beat with equal grace as the set up hand, although someone had written YOU ARE A LUCKY CUNT in pig shit on the bonnet of my car, which was also fire. And I was beaten senseless by a masked assailant as I approach my burning car. I like to see the best in people so prefer to believe the two incidents are unconnected.

This win concludes the best and luckiest month of my pokering career. I'd much rather be lucky than good of course, but a reputation as a luck box is poker leprosy and I'm reluctant to wear a metaphorical cow bell to the tables.

I'm sure amongst the luck I have played OK though, I think..surely I must have? Maybe. Possibly. Sometimes at least. Either way, I'm off to bed now in my pajama's made of £20 notes so I'll end again with the boy Dickens; it is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known. Amen Charles. Amen.



0 comments:

Post a Comment