Idle hands do the devils work

3/17/2008 01:05:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

So I'm having a cappuccino this morning and a couple of Daily Mail readers are putting the world to rights at a table just east of my position. According to them there are now more single mothers under the age of 20 than Topic bars (or something) in the south of England.

Patricia (I assume that was her name) argued that this statistic coincided with the demise of the Girl Guides while Brenda (that was her name) argued that it was the Government's fault.

They want girls getting pregnant she argued because keeping them on benefits is cheaper than having them in the workforce because they can get Hungarians to work as secretaries and nurses for peanuts.

Something like that anyway, I could only catch the gist of their rabid hysteria over the sounds of Mel Tormé's Careless Hands. I don't think the eastern European waitress quite agreed with her logic, but I think we both agreed that Brenda's cardigan was pretty.

boomp3.com

Speaking of careless hands, controversy at the Pigeons last night; with only seven runners and the blinds at 200/400 I'm sitting before a healthy stack of approximately 12,000. Steve v.03 UTG (I think) shoves for 3,500. Steve's range is quite rangey. I elect to call with 6-6. Alan on the button (I think) comes over the top for about 3,500 more again.

I decide to call. Alan has Kings and isn't happy when I hit my set (666 the number of the Asno) and bust both players. A fair enough point of view considering how big a dog I was and how often he has had Aces and Kings cracked in recent times.

My justification for calling was the somewhere between 3/1 and 4/1 odds I was getting from the pot and the chance to knock two players out of a seven runners tournament in one go, one of which was one of the better players and the other of which was Steve...whose rangey range is a double edged sword. I also have average chips if I don't hit my set.

Careless? Oui. Wrong? Not in that game. My strategy in the Pigeons is a potent blend of laggy play laced with raw lunacy and my results there seem to suggest it's quite effective so I'm sticking with it. In 'proper' games however I accept a more circumspect approach is necessary.

Finally, I almost took a shit today without pulling my pants down. I pulled my trousers down but not my pants, I realised something wasn't quite right just in time.

2 comments:

Comment by Alan on 18 March 2008 at 15:41

I'm pretty sure Steve only had 1200, so the main pot was 4.2k... I think I had another 3.5k. After putting in 1.2k to call Steve, you were getting 7.7/3.5 to call my all-in... 2.2/1.

KK 57%
AT 25%
66 18%

(66?? ffs!!)

Comment by Rich on 18 March 2008 at 16:15

Steve's bet was over 3,000, but anyway, the opportunity to knock two players out of 7 runner game was also a factor. Let it go man, let it go.

Post a Comment