What a difference a day makes

11/22/2007 05:23:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

Now then, this is a congratulatory celebratory blog entry. Oli Lewington; I’ve never been comfortable with the length of your hair - being a traditional short back and sides kinda guy I always feel slightly uneasy around blokes with hair longer than the length of a Topic - but you’re a decent enough chap and I’m hearing that you’ve just been given a precious gift and not a more deserving chap can I think of to receive it.

This won’t mean an awful lot to anyone else reading this. Oli and I have very little in common, except Cystic Fibrosis. By all accounts Oli has in the last 24 hours breezed through a lung transplant operation and as I understand it, has today enjoyed a nice salad (salad! Gayer) sammich, which maybe for the first time in his life he was able to chew and swallow without feeling like he’d just negotiated a steep flight of stairs carrying a heavy suitcase.



For Oli I could not be happier. For me, a moment of reflection: mixed emotions overwhelm when things like this occur. I feel elation for Oli of course, but a sense of jealousy and envy too as I have turned down this opportunity for a new life and one can’t help asking the question, am I a fool? Ha, this was meant to be a celebratory entry, but sod it, it’s my blog and I’ll whine if I want to.

I’ve been through this dilemma many times before and I always feel secure that I am right and I still do. I would dearly love to know how it feels to take a really deep breath, and I am jealous of anyone with real physical strength, but everything else a transplant offers has no real value to me. In a nutshell I don’t and never really have felt the world was a rewarding enough place for me to fight that hard to stay in it. I’m a Logan’s Run kinda guy. I think three decades is more than enough time to experience what life has to offer. I’ve experienced and I have no regrets.

I like to discuss these things with myself over coffee once in a while, but dwelling on them never helps so let’s end here, you pay’s your money and you takes your choc-ice. Back to the celebratory aspect of the blog, Oli, this one’s for you. Sing along if you know the words.

boomp3.com

Hang on that's a bit gay isn't it. Let's have something more macho and lung related, I don't want people thinking I'm a whoopsie.

boomp3.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment