APAT English Championship report.

11/04/2007 01:15:00 am / The truth was spoken by Rich /

Wrong move at the wrong time (again)

OK look, it’s not as bad as it sounds. I mean, in the cold light of day, the move I made stinks like a fish’s fanny fart, but if you’ll let me explain. The thing I wanted to avoid in this event, apart from the money evidently, was to get stuck in that ‘orrible no-mans land of boring tedious “all-in or fold’ poker. Soooooo, after the dinner break (Wooo made it to the buffet tables suckers!) I was sitting with about 25,000 and I decided I shall either build some chips or go home for more Horlicks. I do so much enjoy a mug, do you?

Anyhooo, with the blinds at 400-800 an opportunity presented itself like a pikey selling gravel. The whole situation screamed RUN RICH RUN, RUN FOR THE HILLS, but I stuck to the tenet signed sealed and delivered when I was having a sh*t after the buffet, that chips would come my way or be damned.

And thus…in the cut-off with 8-8 I made it 3,000 to go; folded round to the big blind who re-raised a further 18,000 all-in. 18,000 I tells ya. I believe I broke wind when he pounded his chips in the middle of the table. Surprised? Does the Pope eat kids?



My only thoughts here were this must be a standard all-in move with A-K. I could not for the life of me figure out what other hand could motivate someone to thrust such a substantial bet back at an opponent. In truth, I just didn’t want to believe he had anything other than A-K, cause that’s all I could beat. So, after a couple of minutes of umming and aaaahing and hmmmming,…I called. I figured, if I win, I have 45,000 and some room to play proper poker - if I lose, I can be home in time for Match of the Day. Cracking game between Arsenal and Manchester United it was too. He had pocket Queens.

This was a bad call obviously. I could have folded and continued with a perfectly respectable chip stack, but I feared the attritional grinding leather arsed pokering of tournaments past and the shit or bust option that I continue to accept in these games was too seductive to ignore. In future, I shall either have to adjust my expectations, or start getting lucky.

Alan on the other hand looked in great shape and I believe has made the money as I type and is poised like a hawk preparing to swoop on a vulnerable mouse, to add to his collection of APAT medallions..I’m having Horlicks as we speak, let’s finish on a song shall we.


0 comments:

Post a Comment