Can it be true?

9/27/2007 07:02:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

While eavesdropping on a conversation today I picked up a tip for cooking sausages that I'm not convinced can really produce a perfectly cooked banger. Apparently, you put them in a pan, cover with water and boil them. Once boiled, turn off the heat, cover the pan for about 10 minutes then drain them off and pop them under the grill until they look all brown and yummy (his words not mine).

Can this be true? Boiling sausages? Have you heard tell of this? Sounds suspiciously like something the French would do to me. Someone give it a go and get back to me.

3 comments:

Comment by Mlle. Christina on 27 September 2007 at 22:33

That method makes for a DAMN good hot dog, I can vouch for that at least.

Anonymous on 2 October 2007 at 00:09

The science behind it is that poaching the sausage in just simmering water for half an hour cooks it at a lower temperature thus keeping in more moisture and flavour. You can then brown the bangers off in the pan to the perfect deep golden brown colour and not worry about the centre not being cooked. Now I havent tried this yet but will do so this week. I shall get myself down Foxbury Farm shop and buy some nice Old Spot bangers and report back with my findings. Of course the perfect mash to go with it is made using jacket potatoes and scooping out the centre.

Comment by Rich on 2 October 2007 at 00:45

Well yes, everyone knows that.

Post a Comment